Ferry crossings between the UK and Ireland and between the UK and mainland Europe are plentiful and in some instances are a great way to traverse between the islands and Continent. The preeminent of these as far as a golf vacation is concerned are the sailings between Cairnryan Port due south of Turnberry, across to Belfast in Northern Ireland and from Dublin to Holyhead in Wales. The sailing time is just 2hrs 15mins from Cairnryan to Belfast and 3hrs from Dublin to Holyhead. The roll-on, roll-off nature of the ship means that if you are in a chauffeured vehicle, your driver will simply drive directly onto the boat in Scotland and you will disembark in Belfast or vice versa with the same applying between Holyhead and Dublin. There are many benefits of using these crossings such as:
1. No airport check-in queues, baggage drops or security lines to negotiate, all baggage will stay in the vehicle, although some quick security checks may take place at the entry to the port.
2. As you are going between 2 different parts of the UK (in the case of Cairnryan to Belfast), there is no passport check to undergo.
3. It saves you time. In the scenario above (Belfast to Scotland ferry), if you were not using the ferry, the coach would have to backtrack to Glasgow airport and allow for a suitable amount of check-in time, unload everybody’s luggage and clubs and ultimately you would be picking up a different coach and driver when you reached Northern Ireland.
4. The ships themselves are incredibly comfortable and have all modern conveniences on-board such as catering, bars, wi-fi, shopping outlets, onboard spas, and even cinemas.
On the Belfast to Scotland ferry, there is a dedicated ‘Premium’ Lounge which The ConsummatePro expressly reserves for our guests because it affords you additional comfort and an enhanced food and beverage offering.
5. You travel on the largest ferries ever to sail between the UK & Ireland, Stena Superfast VII, and Stena Superfast VIII. These sister ships offer a choice of up to 6 daily crossings allowing you to travel at a time that suits your itinerary.